Children’s Theatre Workshop School Residency Programs
Children’s Theatre Workshop (“CTW”) has provided thousands of children and teens in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan with a quality, education-based arts experience. In an average year, CTW serves more than 500 students from over 100 different schools! The goal of our Residency program is to get theatre education back into Toledo schools and offer support to existing programs.
Children’s Theatre Workshop is offering collaborative opportunities for Toledo Area schools, with the goal of making theatre education more accessible to Toledo area students. We are offering a variety of different options to schools, so that we can build a program within the schools that can be sustained.
Children’s Theatre Workshop will provide a teacher to come to the school and lead an in-school or after-school Drama Club, usually 1-1 ½ hrs long twice a week, where students learn the basics of theatre performance, skills for memorization, and improvisation. This is an option that we have had great success with in TPS schools as well as with some Homeschooling groups.
Children’s Theatre Workshop’s Residency Programs are completely customizable to fit the school’s needs.
Schools may choose to have the semester culminate with a performance, decided on by the school and CTW staff. We will collect assessment data from the participants to track their starting knowledge level and their progress through their participation.
Here are some Pre-Built plans, or you can design your own!
Option One: Workshops
Children’s Theatre Workshop can offer age specific lessons that follow content curriculum standards that build on literacy, creative drama and story building for an activated learning experience. Teachers usually pair the lesson with a book, and use different theatre games and activities to bring the story to life.
We also offer one-time or short series workshops that you can choose a subject, such as improvisation, directing, devising, costume or makeup design, to name a few. The standard teaching rate applies of $30/hour for one teacher.
Option Two: One or Two Short Scenes
- 8 weeks of programming, 2 hours on one day a week = 16 contact hours.
- CTW teacher and the students choose one or two 10-15 minute scenes. Students audition, rehearse, and perform these.
- Materials needed: scripts and royalties for the show.
Option Three: Review Performance
- 12 weeks of programming, 2 hours on one day a week = 24 contact hours.
- CTW teacher and the students choose one or two 10-15 minute scenes, as well as monologues and songs. Students audition, rehearse, and perform these.
- For this option, we would also encourage the use of student directors so that we can divide the group to make the best use of the rehearsal time.
- Materials needed: public domain scripts, purchased scripts, original scripts written by students.
Option Four: Musical Performance
- 15 weeks of programming, 2 hours on one day a week = 30 contact hours.
- Longer rehearsal process is needed due to the complexity of the musical theatre process (scene work, vocal rehearsal, choreography, etc)
- We choose one of the “Kids” versions of a musical to perform. These would be 30-40 minute shows that would be a condensed and simplified version of one of the bigger, well known shows.
- Materials needed: scripts and royalties, some costume/set/props/makeup.
Option Five: Build Your Own
This option is great for if you have a specific topic or program in mind, as well as if you have to fit a particular space, time, or financial constraints.
Price and Staffing:
- Each contact hour of drama programming is $30. CTW requires no more than a 1:15 teacher-student ratio; if the program is larger than 15 students, a second CTW teacher must be arranged for an additional $20/hr.
- The musical theatre options may require a specific music/choreography teacher.
- CTW will provide a quote for the school/program’s records before the program begins, then an invoice at month-end or at the conclusion of the program, depending on the arrangement.
- Schools are responsible for purchasing materials needed to conduct the program; this will be included in the quote before the program begins.
CALL 419.244.5061 TO ARRANGE FOR YOUR PROGRAM OR
EMAIL TRINA FRIEDBERG AT [email protected].